Context: Recently, CSIR-Central Road Research Institute (CSIR-CRRI), New Delhi developed Kisan Sabha App to connect farmers to the supply chain and freight transportation management system.
- In the present situation of COVID 19, farmers are looking for help in their harvest reaching the market, seed or fertilizer procurement, etc.
- Therefore, a robust supply chain management is urgently required to facilitate the timely delivery of the produce at the best possible prices.
About the App:
- It is a one stop solution for farmers, transporters and other entities engaged in the agriculture Industry, launched by the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Implementation: ICAR can work together with CSIR and use the Krishi Vigyan Kendra’s (KVK) networks for implementation.
- As the overall agriculture market is not well organized and a lot of produce gets wasted or is being sold at a very low rate, a detailed primary study was undertaken wherein a survey was farmers, dealers and transporters.
- Based on this study and the current prevailing situation, the Kisan Sabha App was developed.
- The portal connects the farmers, transporters, Service providers (like pesticides/ fertilizer/ dealers, cold store and warehouse owner), mandi dealers, customers (like big retail outlets, online stores, institutional buyers) and other related entities for timely and effective solution.
- The portal acts as a single stop for every entity related to agriculture, be they a farmer who needs better price for the crops or mandi dealer who wants to connect to more farmers or truckers who invariably go empty from the mandis.
- It also works for people in the agriculture services sector such as dealers of fertilizers/ pesticides,who can reach out to more farmers for their services.
- It would also prove to be useful for those associated with cold store(s) or godown(s). KisanSabha also provides a platform for people who want to buy directly from the farmers.
- Kisan Sabha has 6 major modules taking care of Farmers/Mandi Dealers/Transporters/Mandi Board Members/ Service Providers/Consumers.
Kisan Sabha aims to provide the most economical and timely logistics support to the farmers and increase their profit margins by minimizing interference of middlemen and directly connecting with the institutional buyers.
It will also help in providing best market rates of crops by comparing nearest mandis, booking of freight vehicles at cheapest cost thereby giving maximum benefit to the farmers.
- The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) is a contemporary R&D organization under the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Established by the Government of India in 1942 as an autonomous body that has emerged as the largest research and development organisation in India.
- It is known for its cutting edge R&D knowledge base in diverse S&T areas.
- Having a pan-India presence, CSIR has a dynamic network of 38 national laboratories, 39 outreach centres, 3 Innovation Complexes and 5 units.
- CSIR’s R&D expertise and experience is embodied in about 4600 active scientists supported by about 8000 scientific and technical personnel.
- Central Road Research Institute(CRRI) was established in 1952 as a constituent laboratory of the Council of scientific and industrial research (CSIR).
- The institute has a vast and unique variety of infrastructural facilities to undertake research and consultancy activities related to road and runways, traffic and transportation, bridges and geotechnical aspects.
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) is an autonomous organisation under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare , Government of India.
- Formerly known as Imperial Council of Agricultural Research, it was established IN 1929 as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 in pursuance of the report of the Royal Commission on Agriculture.
- The Council is the apex body for coordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the entire country.