Context:The Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare recently launched a farmer friendly mobile application named ‘Kisan Rath’ In Krishi Bhavan.
Kisan Rath (Mobile application)
National Informatics Centre (NIC)
“Kisan ka apna Vahan”
To facilitate farmers & traders in identifying the right mode of transportation for Primary and Secondary transportation for movement of Agriculture & Horticulture produce.
Covered farm produces
- Foodgrain (cereal, coarse cereal, pulses etc), Fruits & Vegetables, oil seeds, spices, fiber crops, flowers, bamboo, log & minor forest produce, coconuts etc.
- This App also facilitates traders in transportation of perishable commodities by Reefer (Refrigerated) vehicles.
- The Consignors (farmer, FPOs, buyer/ trader) places a requirement for transportation on this app which is disseminated to transport aggregators in the market.
- These transport aggregators in turn interface with various truckers and fleet owners for obtaining a competitive quote against the requirement and pass back the quote and trucker details to the Consignor.
- That is the Consignor directly negotiates off line with the trucker and finalizes the deal.
- Once the trip is completed, the user can provide a rating/ feedback for the trucker in the App which, over a period of time, becomes a feedback mechanism for the transporter to improve their services.
Primary transportation would include movement from Farm to Mandis, FPO Collection Centre and Warehouses etc.
Secondary Transportation would include movement from Mandis to Intra-state & Inter-state mandis, Processing units, Railway station, Warehouses and Wholesalers etc.
App will be made available in 08 languages in Android version initially, and is ready for pan-India use
Significance of the app
- Ensuring smooth and seamless agricultural supply chain:
- Transportation of agri produce is a critical and indispensable component of the supply chain.
- Under the extraordinary situation prevailing in the country currently due to lockdown, the app will ensure smooth and seamless supply linkages between farmers, warehouses, FPOs, APMC mandis and intra-State & inter-State buyers
- Boost to agricultural activities
- By providing timely transportation services it will surely translate into better prices for perishable commodities.
- The app will also help in giving a boost to Inter-mandi and Inter-State trade of agriculture and horticulture produce in the country.
- Choice to find a suitable transportation means:
- The app will greatly facilitate farmers, FPOs and Cooperatives in the country to have the choice to find a suitable transport facility to transfer their agriculture produce from farm gate to markets.
- Through the mechanism of a feedback system transporter will surely improve their services.
This will ultimately help the Consignors in the selection process of Logistics Service Providers in future.