In News: Indian PM mentioned about the great poet of India in his address to the 74th session of the UN General Assembly.
About Kaniyan Poongundranar:
- He is also known as Pungundranar was an influential Tamil philosopher who lived in the Sangam age.
- He was born and brought up in Mahibalanpatti, a village panchayat in the Tirupattur taluk of Sivaganga district in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- He composed two poems in Puṟanāṉūṟu and Natrinai.
- His famous Tamil quote "Yaadhum Oore Yaavarum Kelir" is at present depicted in the United Nations Organisation. The words when translated means, "'we have a sense of belonging to every place and everyone is our own."
- Kaniyan Poongundrana in his poems stressed that all people should be bound by one, same moral and legal code.
- Poongundranar in his works rejected the division of mankind into various categories and emphasised the universality of all humans.