In news: The Telangana government inaugurated Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project in Jayashankar Bhupalpally district.
More about the project:
- Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project is built on River Godavari at Kannepalli village, Mahadevpur Mandal, Jayashankar Bhupalpally district of Telangana.
- It is the world's largest multi-stage lift irrigation project.
- Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP) utilizes only the flood water.
- Though the project is massive in technical and engineering aspects, land acquisition is very limited because of underground set up like pumping stations and tunnels construction.
- It also includes the longest irrigation tunnel in the world.
- By the time the water reaches Kondapochamma Sagar, the last reservoir in the system, the Godavari water would have been lifted to a height of 618 metres from its source at Medigadda.
It is a method of irrigation in which water is not transported by natural flow, (as in gravity-fed canal) but is lifted with pumps or surge pools etc.The advantage of lift irrigation is the minimal land acquisition problem and low-water losses.