Context: The 2nd meeting of the India-Central Asia Dialogue was held in the digital video-conference format under the chairmanship of the External Affairs Minister of India.
More on news:
- Foreign Ministers of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Republic of Uzbekistan as well as First Deputy Foreign Minister of the Kyrgyz Republic participated in the meeting.
- The Acting Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan attended the meeting as a special invitee.
- Cooperation in COVID-19: The Ministers emphasized the need to continue close cooperation between the Sanitary and Epidemiological Services of India and the Central Asian countries in the fight against Covid-19 pandemic.
- Infrastructure: India is modernizing the infrastructure of the Chabahar port in Iran, which could become an important link in trade and transport communications between the markets of Central and South Asia.
- The Ministers strongly condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.
- They also reaffirmed the determination of their countries to combat this menace by destroying terrorist safe-havens, networks, infrastructure and funding channels.
- Afghan peace process: The Ministers called for the settlement of the Afghan conflict on the principle of Afghan-led, Afghan-owned and Afghan-controlled peace process.
- Cultural and educational relations: The Ministers underscored the importance of humanitarian, cultural, educational and tourism cooperation between India and the Central Asian countries.
- Increasing tourism arrivals, creating tourism trails across the region, making the visa process simpler and encouraging investment in tourism infrastructure was emphasized.
- India hosted the training of Central Asian diplomats at the Sushma Swaraj Foreign Service Institute in New Delhi.
Initiatives Announced by India:
- India is providing humanitarian medical assistance to their countries in the fight against Covid-19 pandemic.
- India has provided a US$ 1 billion Line of Credit for priority developmental projects in fields such as connectivity, energy, IT, healthcare, education, agriculture etc.
- India is offering grant assistance for implementation of High Impact Community Development Projects (HICDP) for furthering socio-economic development in the countries of the region.
- The India-Central Asia Business Council (ICABC)
- The council was launched by the Government of India along with the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- It is a B2B body under the India- Central Asia Dialogue, ICABC should promote business linkages, facilitate greater understanding of taxation, business regulations in India.
India-Central Asia Dialogue
- It is a ministerial-level dialogue between India and the Central Asian countries - Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
- These five Central Asian States got their independence from the Soviet Union.
- These countries are also members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation except for Turkmenistan.
- It is a platform for strengthening cooperation between India and the Central Asian countries in political, security, economic and commercial, spheres, regional and international issues of mutual interest.
- The 1st meeting of the India-Central Asia Dialogue was held in Samarkand (Uzbekistan).
Line of credit
- A line of credit is a type of loan that provides borrowers money they can draw from as needed.
- Once a borrower draws against a line of credit, they are responsible for making regular minimum payments to cover the interest accruing on the amount they draw.
- In addition to regular interest payments, borrowers can also repay part of what they borrowed against their line over time.
Image source: The Conversation.com
After reading this article, answer the following question for Mains answer writing practice. Also you can get your answer checked free of cost by clicking on the following link.
Q) Discuss the significance of relations between India and Central Asian countries. Also suggest a way forward to improve the ties. (250 word)