Context: Amid nationwide lockdown due to COVID-19 crisis Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile App is helping people in a big way to locate their nearest Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Kendra (PMJAK) and availability of affordable generic medicine.
About the mobile app:
- Developed by: This mobile application for Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) has been developed by Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) under Department of Pharmaceuticals , Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers,Government of India, in order to make use of digital technology for easing the life of consumers.
- The app will facilitate the general public by providing a digital platform at the tip of their fingers, by the virtue of which
- Public can avail a host of user-friendly options like locate nearby Janaushadhi kendra.
- Direction guided through Google Map for location of the Janaushadhi kendra.
- Search Janaushadhi generic medicines.
- It will help to analyze product comparison of Generic and Branded medicine in form of MRP & overall Savings, etc.
About PMBJP(Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers):
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses.
- PMBJP stores have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
- It was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals in 2008 under the name Jan Aushadhi Campaign.
- Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) is the implementation agency for PMBJP.
Generic Drug: A generic drug is a pharmaceutical drug that contains the same chemical substance as a drug that was originally protected by chemical patents.
Generic drugs are copies of brand-name drugs that have exactly the same dosage, intended use, effects, side effects, route of administration, risks, safety, and strength as the original drug. In other words, their pharmacological effects are exactly the same as those of their brand-name counterparts.
BPPI (Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India) has been established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, with the support of all the CPSUs for coordinating procurement, supply and marketing of generic drugs through the Jan Aushadhi Stores.
- Vision: To bring down the healthcare budget of every citizen of India through providing Quality generic Medicines at Affordable Prices.
- Create awareness among the public regarding generic medicines.
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practitioners.
- Create awareness through education and awareness programs that high price need not be synonymous with high quality.
- Provide all the commonly used generic medicines covering all the therapeutic groups.
- Provide all the related health care products too under the scheme.
- Making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, through exclusive outlets "Jan Aushadhi Medical Store", so as to reduce out of pocket expenses in healthcare.
- About Jan Aushadhi Store (JAS)
- JAS has been opened across the country.
- All therapeutic medicines are made available from Jan Aushadhi Stores.
- In addition to medicines and surgical items supplied by BPPI, Jan Aushadhi stores also sell allied medical products commonly sold in chemist shops.
- OTC (Over-the-counter) products can be purchased by any individual without a prescription.
- A prescription from a registered medical practitioner is necessary for the purchase of scheduled drugs.
- The quality, safety and efficacy of medicines are ensured by getting each batch of medicines procured tested from NABL approved laboratories and conforming to the required standards before the same are supplied to Jan Aushadhi Stores from the warehouse of BPPI.
Who can open a Jan Aushadhi store?
- State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / Charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacists/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for new Jan Aushadhi stores.
- The applicants shall have to employ one B Pharma / D Pharma degree holder as Pharmacist in their proposed store.
In its Fight against COVID-19 Government of India is revolutionizing the face of healthcare system through notable schemes like PMBJP that have been providing quality generic-medicines and surgical equipment & consumable at affordable prices for every citizen of the nation.