Objective of the JSY: To reduce maternal and infant mortality by promoting institutional delivery among pregnant women by providing conditional cash assistance of Rs.1400.
Other features of the scheme:
- The scheme was launched in 2005.
- Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) is a safe motherhood intervention under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) being implemented with the objective of reducing maternal and neo-natal mortality by promoting institutional delivery among the poor pregnant women.
- There is no bar on age of mother, number of children or type of institution i.e a government or accredited private health facility.
- Financial assistance under JSY is available to all pregnant women in states that have low institutional delivery rates, namely, UP, Uttarakhand, Bihar, Jharkhand, MP, Chhattisgarh, Assam, Rajasthan, Odisha, and J&K. They are categorized as Low Performing States (LPS).
- In High Performing States (HPS), where the levels of institutional delivery are satisfactory, pregnant women from BPL/SC/ST households only are entitled for JSY benefit. The scheme also provides performance based incentives to ASHAs.