In news: Recently Union Minister launched Jal Shakti Abhiyan - a campaign for water conservation and water security.
Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM)
It aims to ensure piped water supply to all rural households by 2024.
- Meghalaya became the first state to approve a draft water policy.
- National Water Informatics Centre setup as a repository of nationwide water resources data and provide latest and reliable water data through web-based India Water Resources Information System (India-WRIS) on a GIS platform in Public Domain
About Jal shakti abhiyan :
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan is a collaborative effort of various Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments.The campaign runs through citizen participation during the monsoon season
- 1st phase 1st July, 2019 to 15th September, 2019.
- Phase 2 : 1st October, 2019 to 30th November, 2019 for States receiving the North East retreating monsoons.
- The campaign is focussed on water stressed districts and blocks.
- It aims to make water conservation a Jan Andolan through asset creation and extensive communication.
- It ensures five important water conservation interventions.
Water conservation and
- Rainwater harvesting,
- Renovation of traditional and other water bodies/tanks, reuse,
- Bore well recharge structures,
- Watershed development and intensive afforestation.
- These water conservation efforts will also be supplemented with special interventions including the development of Block and District Water Conservation Plans, promotion of efficient water use for irrigation and better choice of crops through Krishi Vigyan Kendras.
- Plans with time-bound targets will be developed for wastewater reuse for industrial and agricultural purposes in urban areas.
- 3D Village Contour Mapping: 3D Village Contour Maps may be created and made accessible for efficient planning of interventions.
- Scientists and IITs to be mobilised at the national level to support the teams
- A large-scale communications campaign alongside the JSA involving mass mobilisation of different groups including school students, swachhagraha, Self Help Groups,
- Convergence with Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS)