- The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has launched Jal Kranti Abhiyan (JKA) in June 2015 across the nation to preserve the water, when it is in abundance, so that there arise no issues at the time of water scarcity.
- It was launched in order to consolidate water conservation and management through a holistic and integrated approach in which all stakeholders are involved and with an object to make it a mass movement.
The objectives of Jal Kranti Abhiyan are :
- Strengthening grass root involvement of all stakeholders including Panchayati Raj Institutions and local bodies in the water security and development schemes (e.g. Participatory Irrigation Management (PIM)
- Encouraging the adoption/utilization of traditional knowledge in water resources conservation and its management
- To utilize sector level expertise from different levels in government, NGO’s, citizens etc
- Enhancing livelihood security through water security in rural areas.
- Jal Gram Yojana
- Development of Model Command Area
- Pollution abatement
- Mass Awareness Programme
- Other Activities
Jal Gram Yojana
- It is one of the most important activities of the Jal Kranti Abhiyan under which two villages in every district (preferably being a part of dark block or facing acute water scarcity) are being selected as Jal Grams.
- An integrated water security plan for water conservation, water management and allied activities are being prepared to ensure optimum and sustainable utilization of water.