After seven months, the use of social media was allowed in Jammu and Kashmir recently (March 3), Order issued says that the Internet connectivity will be made available ‘with mac-binding’. The latest order is to remain in force till March 17, unless modified earlier.
More about the news:
- The easing of restrictions came after the Supreme Court recently asked for a review of “all orders suspending Internet services forthwith”.
- The ruling of the SC: An order suspending Internet services indefinitely is impermissible, freedom of speech and expression and the freedom to practice any profession or carry on any trade, business or occupation over the medium of the Internet enjoys constitutional protection under Article 19 of the Constitution.
What are the other conditions on internet usage in Jammu and Kashmir
- Internet speed in Jammu and Kashmir is still restricted to 2G. This means very slow services, and that some sites designed for a 4G Internet experience hard work.
- It also means that although in theory, the “whitelist system” where people could only access some websites pre-approved by the government has been removed, some sites designed for a 4G Internet experience will hardly work.
Permitted internet connections in Jammu and Kashmir
- Postpaid Devices: The Internet can be accessed on all postpaid devices, and those using Local Area Networks (LAN).
- Prepaid Networks: Unless verified as per the norms applicable for postpaid connections these services shall not be made available on prepaid SIM cards unless verified as per the norms applicable for postpaid connections.
- Special access terminals provided by the government will continue to run.
- Every device has a Media Access Control (MAC) address which is a hardware identification number that is unique to it.
- Every device while accessing the internet is assigned with an IP address.
- Mac-binding term essentially means binding together the MAC and IP addresses. Due to which all requests from that IP address are served only by the computer having that particular MAC address.
- In other words, if the IP address or the MAC address changes, the device can no longer access the Internet.
- In this system monitoring, authorities can trace the specific system from which a particular online activity was carried out.
Also read: Guarantee Internet Right