In News: The United States Commission on International Religious Freedom has released its International Religious Freedom 2019 report.
- In the annual report the commission has recommended two designations namely countries of particular concern(CPCs) and entities of particular concern (EPCs) for engaging in or tolerating “systematic, ongoing, egregious violations.”
- It recommended 16 countries under the CPC category including India, China etc.. and 5 entities under EPCs namely (ISIS), the Taliban in Afghanistan, al-Shabab in Somalia etc.
- In India there has been an overall deterioration of religious freedom conditions in 2018 and it managed to remain among the tier 2 countries.
- Tier 2 countries are those in which government has tolerated or engaged in “particularly severe religious freedom violations, meaning those are systematic, ongoing, and egregious
- In several countries where it found religious freedom declining, it also found an increased securitisation and politicisation of religion.
- Over the last decade Minorities conditions have deteriorated in the country. The reason is attributed to -
- extremist groups, anti-conversion laws, cow-protection groups, mob lynching,
- concerns that millions from Assam will be incorrectly left out of NRC (National Register of Citizen) and
- a denying registration to international NGOs.