Context: The Election Commission of India is organizing an International Virtual Election Visitors Programme 2020 (IEVP) for foreign Election Management Bodies (EMBs)/Organisations in the context of the ongoing Bihar Legislative Assembly Elections.
More on news:
- Delegates from over 40 countries across the world including Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, etc. and 3 international organizations as follows are invited to participate in the IEVP 2020
- International IDEA,
- International Foundation of Electoral Systems (IFES) and
- Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB)
Objectives of IVEP, 2020:
Sharing best practices: Bihar elections provide ECI with an opportunity to share best practices and experience of the conduct of the poll process during the pandemic period.
- The Programme will provide a unique overview of the Commission’s flagship programme for voter awareness – SVEEP (Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation).
- The participants are being invited to a virtual tour of polling stations in Bihar and various arrangements at the polling station for a free, fair, participative and safe election.
Systematic Voters Education and Electoral Participation Programs
- It is the flagship program of the Election Commission of India for voter education, spreading voter awareness and promoting voter literacy in India.
- SVEEP’s primary goal is to build a truly participative democracy in India by encouraging all eligible citizens to vote and make an informed decision during the elections.
- The programme is based on multiple general as well as targeted interventions which are designed according to the socio-economic, cultural and demographic profile of the state as well as the history of electoral participation in previous rounds of elections and learning thereof.
Image source: http://indiaawebcentre.org/