Context: The Indian Air Force(IAF) has recently inducted an Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT). This pod will be utilized for the evacuation of critical patients with infectious diseases including COVID-19 from high altitude areas, isolated and remote places.
More about Indigenous Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT)
- Need for development:
- The requirement of an air evacuation system with a facility to prevent the spread of infectious aerosol from a COVID-19 patient during air travel was felt by IAF when coronavirus was declared as a pandemic.
- The first prototype was developed at 3 BRD AF and has undergone various modifications.
- Indigenous materials:
- Supporting the “Atmanirbhar Bharat” call by Prime Minister, only indigenous materials have been used to fabricate this pod.
- The system has been developed as a lightweight isolation system made from aviation certified material.
- Support and monitoring instruments
- The design integrates life support and monitoring instruments (defibrillator with multipara monitor, pulse oximeter, Infusion pumps etc), long arm gloves for use by health care professionals, and power pack with high endurance.
- The system RPIT utilizes High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) H-13 class filters and supports invasive ventilation using Transport Ventilator.
Other highlights of ARPIT
- It has a transparent and durable cast Perspex for enhanced patient visibility which is larger, higher and wider than the existing models.
- The isolation system caters for a suitable number of air exchanges, integration of medical monitoring instruments, and ventilation to an intubated patient.
- The system also generates high constant negative pressure in the isolation chamber for the prevention of infection risk to aircrew, ground crew, and health care workers involved in air transportation.
- Design requirements have been evolved and are based on the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers (NABH), and Centre for Disease Control (CDC), USA.
- The IAF is inducting a total of 7 ARPITS as of now.