The maiden trilateral exercise SITMEX, involving the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN), Royal Thailand Navy (RTN) and Indian Navy (IN) has commenced at Port Blair on 16 Sep 19.
Some other Naval Exercises conducted by Navy with other countries are:
- The exercise will go on for five days.
- It aims to improve the maritime interrelationship between Singapore Thailand and India and contribute towards enhancing the overall maritime security in the region.
- Another objective is to increase mutual confidence amongst three navies in terms of interoperability and development of a common understanding of procedures.
- Under the ambit of this exercise, RSN Tenacious, a guided missile stealth frigate and His Majesty's Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi, a guided-missile frigate would exercise with Indian Naval Ships - Ranvir, a guided-missile destroyer, Kora, a missile corvette and Sukanya, an offshore patrol vessel along with P8I Long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft.
- During the harbor phase at Port Blair, professional exchanges, sports fixtures, and cross-deck familiarisation visits would be organized.
- During the sea phase, scheduled from September 18 to 20, a host of surface and air operations involving gunnery, force protection measures, and communication drills would be conducted.
- Besides fostering cooperation, the maiden IN-RSN-RTN Trilateral exercise would provide an opportunity to participating navies to come together in a spirit of collaboration to nurture stronger ties.
Also read: Indian Navy Steps Up Anti-Piracy Patrol Indo-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (INDO-THAI CORPAT) Source
Name of Country Exercise Name Details SINGAPORE SIMBEX The exercise has been held annually since 1994. INDONESIA IND-INDO CORPAT India-Indonesia CoordinatedPatrol, biannual exercise started in 2002. MYANMAR IMCOBAR Held annually since 2013 SRILANKA SLINEX First-ever SLINEX exercise took place in 2005; previously held biennially but since 2018 it has been converted to an annual event RUSSIA INDRA NAVY Started in 2003 FRANCE VARUNA Started in 1983, renamed as Varuna in 2001 UK KONKAN Started in 2004 OMAN NASEEM-AL-BAHR Started in 1993, meaning “seabreeze” US, JAPAN MALABAR Began as a bilateral exercise in 1992 between India and the USA, Japan became a permanent member in 2015 BRAZIL, SOUTH AFRICA IBSAMAR Short for India Brazil South Africa Maritime Multilateral naval exercise MILAN The biennial event is held in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Milan was first held in 1995. Apart from the Indian Navy, the navies of Indonesia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and Thailand participated in the inaugural edition.