In News: Recently, the 80th session of the Indian History Congress (IHC) was held at Kannur, Kerala.
It called for pursuing the constitutional duty of promoting composite culture, which is vital to promoting the territorial unity of India.
- Article 51A - To value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture
- Our cultural heritage is one of the richest as India is one among the most ancient civilizations of the world.
- Our contributions towards art, science, literature is well known to the world.
- Moreover India is the birthplace of Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism.
- Hence it is our duty to protect what we have inherited from the past, preserve it and pass on to the future generations.
About Indian History Congress:
- It was founded in 1935 when Bharata Itihasa Samshodhana Mandala (BISM) organised an All India Congress in 1935 to celebrate its silver jubilee in Pune.
- The Indian History Congress (IHC) is the largest association of professional historians in South Asia.
- It has about 35000 members of which over 2000 delegates participate in its session every year.
- Its main objective is to promote secular and scientific writing of history without any bias towards a particular group or religion.
- It has been holding its sessions very regularly from its inception and publishing its proceedings every year since 1935.