In News: The Ministry of Culture (MoC) recently launched the Indian Culture web portal.
About the Portal:
- It showcases information about the rich tangible and intangible cultural heritage of India
- It was developed by a team from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay while the curation of the data has been done by Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- It is the first government authorized portal where knowledge and cultural resources of various organizations of the Ministry of Culture are available in public domain on a single platform.
- This portal hosts documents, images, audio-video files and other data from archives, museums, academies and libraries across the nation.
- On this portal information about more than 90 lakhs items are currently available.
- The portal is more than a repository, it is a proud culmination of the mélange of Indian cultures that has co-existed and thrived for more than five thousand years.
- The content on the portal is available in English and Hindi language in an interactive, user-friendly interface.
- As envisioned by the Ministry, the portal also will be available in other regional languages in future.