Context: India expressed “serious concern" at Pakistan’s attempts to accuse other countries of “effecting a state-sponsored genocide.
More on news:
- Exercising India’s right of reply after Pakistan raised Kashmir at the 43rd session of UNHRC India also maintained that its decision to revoke Kashmir’s special status last year under Article 370 of the Constitution did not have any impact outside India’s borders.
- Human rights violations: Systemic misuse of Blasphemy (law) in Pakistan has terrorized minorities in Pakistan.
- It is an inter-governmental body within the United Nations system responsible for strengthening the promotion and protection of human rights around the globe and for addressing situations of human rights violations and make recommendations on them.
- It was created by the United Nations General Assembly in 2006 and replaced the United Nations Commission on Human Rights.
- It meets at the UN Office at Geneva.
- UPR(Universal Periodic Review) is a state-driven process under UNHRC’s auspices and provides opportunities to member states to declare what actions they have taken to improve human rights and to fulfil their obligations.
- Under this mechanism, the human rights situation of all UN Member States is reviewed every 5 years.
Image Source: livemint