In news: India –Maldives Joint Ex Ekuverin 10th edition of the Joint Military Exercise Ekuverin between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force will be organized from 07th to 20th October 2019 at Aundh Military Station in Pune, Maharashtra. About “Ekuverin”
India shares very close ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and commercial ties with the Maldives and Exercise Ekuverin will assist in further strengthening of these ties between the two nations. Read More Articles: Joint Military Exercises KAZIND 2019: India-Kazakhstan Joint Military Exercise
- The Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Forces have been conducting Exercise Ekuverin meaning ‘Friends’ in the Dhivehi language since 2009.
- The 14 days Joint Exercise is held alternatively in India and Maldives.
- It focuses on enhancing interoperability between the two forces for carrying out counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in a semi-urban environment under the United Nations mandate.
- The focus of the exercise will be on the sharing of best practices and acquainting each other with the operating procedures being followed while undertaking counter insurgency and counter-terrorism operations.
- The last exercise was held in 2018 at Northern Area Headquarters, Lh. Maalifushi of Maldives.