The 22nd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS), 2020 will be organized jointly by the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) and the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI) in Kochi, Kerala from 7th-9th February 2020.
- Theme for 2020 is: “Blue Revolution- Beyond Production to Value Addition”.
- Event Held: Biennially (occurring every two years). It is one of the oldest and largest seafood events in the world. The 21st edition of IISS was held in Goa in January 2018.
- Purpose: It provides an umbrella platform for various involved stakeholders of this sector such as producers, processing machinery manufacturers, linkage sectors, technical experts, etc. to interact, build up trade relations and contribute towards the progress of seafood exports from the country.
- Significance: It gives scope for tapping new avenues and introducing various technologies and products to the global market. In this way, the show paves way for enhancing Foreign Direct Investment in India thereby contributing to the ‘Make in India program’.
- During 2018-19, India has exported worth $6.70 billion of marine products. With sustainable fishing methods, value addition and increased aquaculture production through diversification, it is expected to achieve an export turnover of $15 billion in the next five years.
Marine Products Export Development Authority
- Constituted: In 1972 through the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) Act 1972, under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is the nodal agency for the holistic development of the seafood industry in India.
Seafood Exporters Association of India
- Established in: 1973 as an organization registered under the Registrar of Companies Act, 1956.
- Aim: To protect and promote the interests of the seafood industry and develop the international trade of seafood from India.
Also read: WTO on Export Subsidies