The Indian and French navies will start coordinated patrols in the Indian Ocean region next year.
France’s Interest in Indian Ocean:
- Overseas Territories like Reunion Islands formed a critical part of Indian Ocean region.
- 70% of French trade passes through the Straits of Babel Mandeb, Hormuz and Malacca and security of these vital arteries is important for France.
- Strengthening its Indo Pacific Strategy
- This will be the first time that the Indian Navy will be conducting coordinated patrols with any country outside its immediate neighbourhood.
- Ensure a rule based order is established in the region and Sea Lanes of Communication (SLOC) are remained open and secure for trade.
- It will also help in streamlining security of region Streamline by curtailing piracy off the coast of somalia.
- It is also refrain countries like China from conducting any activity which threatens international peace and order.
The Joint Patrolling will add another feather to the crown of already strengthened Indo-France relations.