Context: India has the highest prevalence of wasted children under five years in the world, which reflects acute undernutrition, according to the recently released Global Hunger Index 2020.
Key highlights of the report:
- India ranks 94 out of 107 countries in the Index, lower than her neighbors such as Bangladesh (75) and Pakistan (88).
- In the region of the south, east, and south-eastern Asia, the only countries which fare worse than India are Timor-Leste, Afghanistan, and North Korea.
- Child stunting: Although it is still in the poorest category, however, child stunting has actually improved significantly, from 54% in 2000 to less than 35% now.
- Child wasting: It has not improved in the last two decades, and is rather worse than it was decades ago.
- Child mortality rates: India has improved in both child mortality rates and in terms of undernourishment, which are now at 3.7%, and 14% of the total population respectively.
The worldwide scenario of food security
- Worldwide nearly 690 million people are undernourished, according to the report, which warns that the COVID-19 pandemic could have affected the progress made on reducing hunger and poverty.
- SDG Goals progress:
- The world is also not on track to achieve the second Sustainable Development Goal — known as Zero Hunger for short — by 2030.
- At the current pace, nearly 37 countries will fail even to reach low hunger, as defined by the Global Hunger Index Severity Scale, by 2030.
Global Hunger Index (GHI) Report
- The report is an annual publication that is jointly prepared by the Concern Worldwide (an Irish agency) and the Welt Hunger Hilfe (a German organization).
- Parameters: The report is based on four GHI indicators namely, undernourishment, child stunting, child wasting, and child mortality.
Image Source: TH
After reading this article, answer the following question for Mains answer writing practice. Also you can get your answer checked free of cost by clicking on the following link.
Q. India fares poorly in Global Hunger Index,2020, Explain the reasons behind it. Also, mention various government food security initiatives.