- Mausam is a mobile app that provides all current weather forecasts through the week and even radar-based forecasts updated every 10 minutes.
- This is the first app launched by the 145-year-old India Meteorological Department (IMD), Ministry of Earth Sciences, that is meant for everyone.
- It already has another app, Meghdoot, meant only for farmers and those involved in agriculture.
The Mausam mobile App has the following 5 services:
- Current Weather: Current temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction for 200 cities updated 8 times a day. Information on Sunrise/ sunset and moonrise/ moonset are also given.
- Nowcast: Three hourly warnings of localized weather phenomena and their intensity issued for about 800 stations, and districts of India by State Meteorological Centres of IMD. In case of severe weather, its impact also is included in the warning.
- City Forecast: Past 24 hours and 7 day forecast of weather conditions around 450 cities in India.
- Warnings: Alerts issued twice a day for all districts for the next five days in colour code (Red, Orange and Yellow) to warn citizens of approaching dangerous weather. The colour code Red is the most severe category urging authorities to take action, Orange code prompts authorities and public to be alert and Yellow code prompts authorities and public to keep themselves updated.
- Radar products: Latest Station wise radar products updated every 10 minutes.
- The Meghdoot app was developed jointly by the Digital Agriculture & Youth (DAY) team at the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) and the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology.
- Damini Lightning Alert app, developed by the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), is for giving warning to the user about the lightning on the basis of user location.
- Lightning is shown on the map on the basis of 5 min lightning, 10 min lightning and 15 min lightning.
- User can also register for the application.