Recently, Google and an international team of researchers developed a tool to detect diabetic retinopathy.
Key highlights of the research:
- The study was conducted at two eye care centres in India — Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai and Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai : over 3,000 patients were screened with diabetes and the study has shown that the AI’s performance exceeded the conventionally used manual grading method used to identify diabetic retinopathy .
- Efficiency: AI had a specificity and sensitivity of around 90%.
- A specialised retinal fundus camera was used to take photos of the eye.
- In fundus photography it is not necessary to dilate the pupil to allow more light to enter the eye and illuminate the back of the eye.In this photography a coherent beam of light can enter the small gap (Pupil) and take an image in just two to three minutes
Benefits of Fundus photography and AI:
- It is very easy to operate and the cost of the camera has also significantly reduced in the recent past.
- AI tool screens the image taken from fundus photography for diabetic retinopathy: AI tool grades the severity (none, mild, moderate, severe or proliferative) and gives an instant report along with the recommendations.
- Helps in early intervention: Diabetic patients are normally asymptomatic when the eye is concerned until the late stages or advanced stage when treatment is difficult or not so effective.AI can help in getting their eye test report along with the other regular diabetic test reports.
- Artificial intelligence is called machine intelligence.It is intelligence demonstrated by machines, in contrast to the natural intelligence displayed by humans and animals.
- Artificial intelligence (AI), the ability of a digital computer or computer-controlled robot to perform tasks commonly associated with intelligent beings.
- The term is frequently applied to the project of developing systems endowed with the intellectual processes characteristic of humans, such as the ability to reason, discover meaning, generalize, or learn from past experience.
Image Source: The hindu