The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Urban (PMAY-U) was launched in mission mode envisions provision for Housing for All by 2022.
- Construct two crore houses across the nation by 2022.
- Covers the entire urban area consisting of 4041 statutory towns with initial focus on 500 Class I cities in 3 phases
- The mission seeks to address the housing requirement of urban poor including slum dwellers through program verticals :
- Slum rehabilitation of Slum Dwellers with participation of private developers using land as a resource
- Promotion of Affordable Housing for weaker section through credit linked subsidy
- Affordable Housing in Partnership with Public & Private sector
- Subsidy for beneficiary-led individual house construction/enhancement.
- PMAY (U) has made a mandatory provision for the female head of the family to be the owner or co-owner of the house under this Mission.
- Verticals of PMAY (Urban) A basket of options is adopted to ensure inclusion of a greater number of people depending on their income, finance and availability of land through following four options.
- The Mission also prescribes certain mandatory reforms for easing up the urban land market for housing, to make adequate urban land available for affordable housing.
- Houses constructed under the mission would be allotted in the name of the female head of the households or in the joint name of the male head of the household and his wife.
- Geo-tagging for monitoring the progress of construction of houses, Public Financial Management System (PFMS) to ensure electronic fund flow and Technology Sub-Mission to implement new construction technologies, have been introduced.
- Government has also sanctioned ‘infrastructure status’ for the affordable housing sector, giving a boost to PMAY.
- A remarkable feature of the PMAY is that it is a credit linked subsidy scheme.
- The scheme will be implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme except the credit linked subsidy component, which will be implemented as a Central Sector Scheme.
- The Mission provides Central Assistance to the implementing agencies through States/Union Territories (UTs) and Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) for providing houses to all eligible families/ beneficiaries against the validated demand for houses for about 1.12 cr.
- As per PMAY(U) guidelines, the size of a house for the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) could be upto 30 sq. mt. carpet area, however States/UTs have the flexibility to enhance the size of houses in consultation and approval of the Ministry.
The housing scheme extends to the following groups of beneficiaries-
- Economically Weaker Section (EWS)- Household with an annual income of upto Rs 3 lakh,
- Low Income Group (LIG)- To be classified as LIG one has to provide proof that the annual household income is between Rs 3 lakh and Rs 6 lakh ,
- Middle Income Group (MIG) – A person earning less than 12 lakh is entitled to avail a loan upto Rs 9 lakh with a maximum subsidy of Rs 2.35 lakh under Credit-linked subsidy scheme,
- Middle Income Group (MIG) 2 – A person earning less than 18 lakh can avail a loan upto Rs 12 lakh and would be entitled to avail a maximum subsidy of Rs 2.35 lakh under CLSS ,
- Minority Groups- Those hailing from minority communities such as ST, SC and OBC have to provide caste certificates to enlist under the scheme. Further if the beneficiary is a family, then the family must comprise of a husband, wife and children who are unmarried.