- Demand for separate statehood for Gorkhaland.
Who are Gorkhas? Gorkhas are the indigenous people living all along the Himalayan belt and the North-East states of India. The Gorkhas inhabit areas in J&K, Himachal, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, Darjeeling, Assam, and other states in the North- East. Reasons for recent Agitations
- The crisis in Gorkhaland (West-Bengal) stems from language – Nepali speaking people vs. Bengali speaking people.
- Moreover, the demand of the Darjeeling as a separate administrative region
- The Gorkhaland Movement is a movement which is mainly focused in the Darjeeling Hills of the West Bengal, which demands the creation of a separate state of the Gorkhaland.
- The West Bengal government decided to institute the three-language formula in school education throughout the state.
- However, under this, Bengali will be compulsorily taught up to Class X, although students would not have to take an examination in the subject.
- Moreover, the agitation started as a protest against imposition of Bengali in the hills of the West Bengal where Nepali language is the official language to speak.
Read Also: Golan Heights – Israel Versus Palestine
- 1977- 81: The West Bengal government passes an unanimous resolution supporting the creation of an autonomous district council which consisting Darjeeling and also related areas.
- Year 1980: The Subhash Ghising forms the Gorkha National Liberation Front (GNLF).
- GNLF launches a most violent agitation in Gorkhaland movement history in the year of 1986.
- In the year of 1988, the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council accord is signed by GNLF, the state of Bengal and also the Centre. In fact, the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council came into an action. GNLF drops the demand for the separate state.
- In the year of 2005, the same parties which is signed an in–principle memorandum of settlement to include the Darjeeling in the 6th Schedule of an Indian Constitution, which addresses the administration of tribal areas.
- Calling ‘the Sixth Schedule solution’ a betrayal to Gorkhaland, Bimal Gurung launched the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) in the year of 2007. Moreover, The same year witnessed a rise in agitations for the separate Gorkhaland demand.
- In the year of 2011 the memorandum of agreement for the formation of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA), a semi-autonomous administrative body for the Darjeeling, which is passed by West Bengal legislative assembly to calm the GJM.