Aims of the scheme:
- To facilitate the needs of institutions, faculty and students to embrace new knowledge frontiers.
- It is aimed at tapping the talent pool of scientists and entrepreneurs, internationally to encourage their engagement with the institutes of Higher Education in India so as to augment the country's existing academic resources, accelerate the pace of quality reform, and elevate India's scientific and technological capacity to global excellence.
About the scheme:
- These lectures would be made available later to the students across the country through the SWAYAM, the MOOCs platform and the National Digital Library.
- A web portal (gian.iitkgp.ac.in) has been designed by IIT Kharagpur to allow electronic registration and online assessment.
- The Global Initiative for Academic Networks (GIAN) initiative of MHRD provides participation of foreign faculty as Distinguished / Adjunct / Visiting faculty / Professors of Practice, etc. in delivering Short or Semester-long Courses in IITs, IIMs, Central Universities, IISc Bangalore, IISERs, NITs and IIITs and subsequently cover good State Universities.