Context: The Government of India has decided to launch a massive rural public works scheme ‘Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan to empower and provide livelihood opportunities to the returnee migrant workers and rural citizens.
Need for the scheme:
- The return of millions of people to their home states led some state governments demanding an increase in the number of days of employment under the MGNREGS to 150.
- The MGNREGS has seen a major spike in the number of people seeking jobs under the programme.
About the Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan:
- The Abhiyaan will be launched from Village – Telihar, Block- Beldaur of Khagaria District of Bihar.
- A total of 116 Districts, together accounting for more than 6.7 million migrant workers across six States, namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Odisha have been chosen for the campaign which includes 27 Aspirational Districts.
- These districts are estimated to cover about 2/3 of such migrant workers.
- The villages will join this programme through the Common Service Centres and Krishi Vigyan Kendras, maintaining the norms of social distancing in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The ₹50,000 crore programme is to include MGNREGS that allows for 100 days of work for members of rural households.
- This campaign of 125 days, which will work in mission mode, will involve intensified and focused implementation of 25 different types of works
- to provide employment to the migrant workers on one hand and
- create infrastructure in the rural regions of the country on the other hand.
- The schemes for providing drinking water, road building, and house construction will be expedited in these districts for which the migrant workers who come back from the cities will be employed.
- The Abhiyaan will be a coordinated effort between 12 different Ministries/Departments, namely, Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Road Transport & Highways, Mines, Drinking Water & Sanitation, Environment, Railways, Petroleum & Natural Gas, New & Renewable Energy, Border Roads, Telecom and Agriculture.