Context: Indian Railways has said it has generated more than 5.5 lakhs mandays of work under Gareeb Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyann.
- Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan is a rural public works scheme of Government of India to empower and provide livelihood opportunities to the returnee migrant workers and rural citizens.
- A total of 116 Districts with more than 25,000 returnee migrant workers across six States, namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Odisha have been chosen for the campaign. These districts are estimated to cover about 2/3 of such migrant workers.
- This campaign is for 125 days, which will work in mission mode.
- Overall objective is implementation of different types of works to provide employment to the migrant workers on one hand and create infrastructure in the rural regions of the country on the other hand.
- The Abhiyaan will be a coordinated effort between different Ministries/Departments, such as Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Road Transport & Highways, Mines, Railways, Agriculture etc.