Jal Shakti Ministry has launched Ganga Aamantran Abhiyan, a unique open-water rafting and kayaking expedition on the Ganga River to create awareness on water conservation.
Objective of the mission:‘Ganga Aamantran Abhiyan’ is a unique social awareness initiative that is expected to play a historic and pioneering role in connecting with the people.
More about the Mission:
- It was held between 10th October 2019 to 11 November 2019.
- It Started at Devprayag and culminated at Ganga Sagar, the expedition covered the entire stretch of over 2500 kms of the Ganga River.
- This is the first ever effort by National Mission for Clean Ganga to raft across the entire stretch of the river and also the longest ever social campaign undertaken through an adventure sporting activity to spread the message of River Rejuvenation and Water Conservation on a massive scale.
- The mission covered five Ganga basin states including Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal.
National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG)
NMCG was registered as a society on 12th August 2011 under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- It acted as an implementation arm of the National Ganga River Basin Authority(NGRBA) which was constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act (EPA),1986.
- NGRBA has since been dissolved with effect from the 7th October 2016, consequent to constitution of National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga (referred as National Ganga Council).
Management of NMCG
NMCG has a two tier management structure and comprises the Governing Council and Executive Committee.
The Act envisages five tier structure at national, state and district level to take measures for prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in river Ganga and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water so as to rejuvenate the river Ganga as below;
- National Ganga Council under the chairmanship of Prime Minister.
- Empowered Task Force (ETF) on river Ganga under chairmanship of Hon’ble Union Minister of Jal Shakti (Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation).
- National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG).
- State Ganga Committees and
- District Ganga Committees in every specified district abutting river Ganga and its tributaries in the states.