- Why in News- At least 39 migrants died in a fire that broke out at an immigration detention centre in a Mexican city on the U.S. border.
Facts for Prelims
Name of Lines/Boundaries
- 17th Parallel- South Vietnam and North Vietnam
- It was demarcated based on the 1954 Geneva Accords.
- 38th Parallel-South Korea and North Korea
- 49th Parallel- The USA and Canada
- It is located 49 degrees north of the equator.
- Durand Line- Pakistan and Afghanistan
- Delimited by Sir Mortimer Durand with the agreement of the erstwhile Amir of Afghanistan in 1893.
- Hindenburg Line- Poland and Germany
- It was a German Defensive line in French territory during World War I
- McMahon Line- China and India
- It was drawn by Sir Henry McMahon in consultation with Tibetan representatives in 1914. China disputes the legal status of this line.
- Maginot Line- Germany and France
- Mannerheim Line- Russia and Finland
- Finland built this as a defensive line against the Soviet Union for the Winter War during World War II.
- Oder-Neisse Line- Poland and Germany
- It runs along the rivers Oder and Lusatian Neisse rivers.
- Radcliffe Line- India and Pakistan
- It was demarcated by Sir Cyril Radcliffe for the Partition of India and the formation of East and West Pakistan.
- Siegfried Line- France and Germany
- It was built as an extension of the Hindenburg defensive line on the western front of World War I by the Weimar Republic and later the Third Reich of Germany in the 1930s.
Page-15: Boundary demarcation with China will happen soon, says Bhutan PM
- Why in News- Bhutan hopes to complete the demarcation of territories with China in “one or two meetings”, said Bhutanese Prime Minister Lotay Tshering, indicating a resolution of boundary issues with Beijing could be expected soon.
- Dr. Tshering also said that Bhutan is watching whether India and China could resolve their boundary issues as he hoped to discuss the issue over the Doklam trijunction, where the soldiers of the Indian Army and China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) faced off in 2017, “trilaterally”.
China Issue in Bhutan
- China shares a contiguous border of around 470 kms.
- China does not have official diplomatic relations with Bhutan.
There are border disputes between Bhutan and China. China is stepping up pressure on Bhutan to settle their bilateral border dispute.