The Department of Higher Education of the HRD Ministry has finalized and released a five-year vision plan named Education Quality Upgradation and Inclusion Programme (EQUIP).
About the scheme:
The ten Expert Groups drawn from senior academicians, administrators and industrialists, have suggested more than 50 initiatives that would transform the higher education sector completely. The Groups have set the following goals for higher education sector:
- Double the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education and resolve the geographically and socially skewed access to higher education institutions in India
Image Source: The Hindu
- Upgrade the quality of education to global standards
- Position at least 50 Indian institutions among the top-1000 global universities
- Introduce governance reforms in higher education for well-administered campuses
- Accreditation of all institutions as an assurance of quality
- Promote Research & Innovation ecosystems for positioning India in the Top-3 countries in the world in matters of knowledge creation
- Double the employability of the students passing out of higher education
- Harness education technology for expanding the reach and improving pedagogy
- Promote India as a global study destination
- Achieve a quantum increase in investment in higher education.
It is to be implemented between 2019-2024.The project will need to rely on extra-budgetary resources from the marketplace apart from Higher Education Financing Agency (HEFA).