Context: The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched this scheme.
- To increase the literacy level among the Tribal population
- Imparting quality education to children of Scheduled Tribes.
Eklavya Model Residential School will be set up in every block with more than 50% Scheduled Tribes (ST) population and at least 20,000 tribal persons by 2022.
Features of Eklavya Schools
- These school will be at par with Navodaya Vidyalayas
- Special facilities for preserving local art and culture
- Providing training in sports and skill development.
- Autonomous society, under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs similar to Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti will run these schools.