Why in News
The week long exhibition-cum-fair “EKAM Fest” is being organised by the National Handicapped Finance Development Corporation (NHFDC) in New Delhi from 2nd March, 2020.
- EKAM Fest is an effort for promoting entrepreneurship and knowledge among the Divyangjan community. EKAM stands for Entrepreneurship, Knowledge, Awareness and Marketing.
- Further, it will help in generating awareness among society about Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) entrepreneurs’ potential.
- In the first Ekam Fest, Divyang Entrepreneur and Artisans from all over the country have been invited. The fest will see vibrant products ranging from handicraft, handloom, Embroidery work and dry fruits.
National Handicapped Finance Development Corporation
- NHFDC is a corporation under the aegis of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and has been working since 1997.
- It is registered as a company not for profit and provides financial assistance to the Divyangjan/Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan/PwDs) for their economic rehabilitation and provides a number of skill development programmes to empower them to grow & sustain their enterprises.
- Some of the initiatives of NHFDC
- NHFDC Swavalamban Kendra (NSK): NHFDC has taken an initiative to establish PwD owned micro skill training Centers throughout the country for skill training of PwDs.
- Safe Cabs in Delhi and Indore: NHFDC has made arrangements with Sakha Cabs (Social enterprise) where the PwD owned commercial vehicles will be driven by the women drivers to provide safe taxi options for the women, children and senior citizen commuters.
- Safe Drinking Water E Carts: NHFDC has recently agreed to finance E-carts (owned by PwDs) fitted with RO water dispensing vending machines.