Context: The Department of Science & Technology has constituted a joint Science Communication Forum with a view to facilitate interaction, cooperation, and coordination amongst various public sector science communication institutions and agencies.
More on news:
- The Forum will bring together science communication efforts spread across various institutions and can help adoption of a common policy and best practices at a wider scale, ultimately aiming towards a national science communication framework.
- Forum would work upon strategies for effective planning and implementation of science communication programmes at macro and micro levels in the country.
- Objective of the forum: To spread scientific awareness and inculcate scientific temper amongst the masses leading to an innovation-driven society that contributes towards an ecosystem for Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- The Forum would be served by a Secretariat at the National Council for Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC), Department of Science & Technology, which is mandated for coordination with different organizations, programmes and activities focused on science communication.
- It is also mandated to formulate countrywide programmes, policies, and activities in the domain of science communication and popularization in the country.
India's organizational structure on science communication
- At least five national organizations are working on the growth and development of science communication. These are the
- National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources (1951),
- Homi Bhabha Center for Science Education (1974),
- National Council of Science Museums (1978),
- National Council for Science & Technology Communication (1982), and
- Vigyan Prasar (1989).
- In addition, different scientific organizations have their own science communication wings. They include
- Unit for Science Dissemination (CSIR),
- Directorate of Knowledge Management in Agriculture (ICAR),
- Publication & Information Division (ICMR),
- Directorate of Public Interface (DRDO),
- Public Awareness Division (DAE),
- Office of Media & Public Relations (ISRO), Science Cells, AIR, etc.
Image Source: freshersalive