Context: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on Tuesday conducted successful flight-tests of the indigenously-designed Abhyas High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) in Balasore.
About Abhyas High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT)
- The vehicle is a drone that will be used as a target for evaluation of various Missile systems. It can also be used as a decoy aircraft, if needed.
- It is designed and developed by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) of DRDO.
- It is capable of fully-autonomous flight and runs on a gas turbine engine.
- Its inertial navigation system is based on micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) and it uses a flight control computer for guidance and control.
- The test vehicle met “the user requirement of 5 km flying altitude, vehicle speed of 0.5 mach [half the speed of sound], endurance of 30 minutes and 2G turn capability”.
- The first successful test was in May 2019.
Image source: Hindustan Times