Updated on 16 October, 2019
The transport ministry has issued draft guidelines for setting up authorized vehicle scrapping unit facilities.
Why we need a Vehicle scrapping unit facility?
- According to the guidelines issued for comments from stakeholders, including the public.
- The ministry will accept comments until November 15.
What is a requirement to set up a vehicle scraping Unit?
- The National Green Tribunal noted in July that the number of ‘end of life vehicles’ will be over 21 million by 2025.
- About 9 million vehicles, of which 75% are two-wheelers, will be due for scrapping by next year.
What is the category of vehicles covered under the guidelines?
- The entities setting up this unit will have to meet the minimum technical requirements for collection and dismantling in the guidelines issued by the CPCB.
- Environment, quality management, and occupational health and safety certification must be obtained within six months of starting operations.
- Owners of vehicle scrapping facilities must undertake to abide by the provisions of labour laws, Minimum Wages Act, Employees Provident Fund Act, and the Workmen Compensation Act.
- Scrapping facilities should be set up in a large area with adequate space for vehicular movement and must have radioactive detection equipment and certified de-polluting equipment.
Salient features of the draft scrappage policy:
- The guidelines will be applicable to vehicles:
- A vehicle without valid registration,
- voluntarily scraping of vehicles by the owner
- where enforcement authorities have to scrap vehicles impounded or seized by them or in accordance with any court directions.
Also read: FASTags Will Work As Aadhaar To Track Vehicles The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019
- The policy legalizes the scrapping industry.
- Facilities will get connectivity and access to the VAHAN vehicle registration database with password-protected user IDs and will be authorized to make a record of transactions related to the scrapping of the vehicle
- States/Union Territories may notify additional eligibility requirements for the facility to ensure sustainability, adequate capacity, and environmental protection.
- Car manufacturers will also be able to set up their own scrapping centers, which will promote their sales.