Context:To ensure tribal gatherers carry on their work safely while understanding the importance of Social Distancing, TRIFED has recently developed a digital communication strategy.
More about the news:
- TRIFED has collaborated with UNICEF for developing a digital communication strategy for promoting a digital campaign for Self Help Groups (SHGs) involved in this work.
- Support by the UNICEF: It would provide the necessary support to be circulated to the SHG centers in the form of
- Digital Multimedia content
- Webinars for Virtual trainings :Basic orientation on COVID response, key preventive behaviours
- Social Media campaigns :On social distancing, home quarantine, etc.
- Vanya Radio
- Steps to be taken under the campaign:
- Digital training program:
- Nearly 15,000 of these SHGs will be promoted as Van Dhan Social Distancing Awareness cum Livelihood Centers’ through digital training.
- Awareness generation:
- The SHGs will create awareness among the community highlighting social distancing and steps to be followed.
- Do’s and Don’ts Advisories relating to Non-timber forest products (NTFPs) to be kept in mind during Covid-19.
- It provides suggestive practices for maintaining personal hygiene, adopting cashless practices, among others will be shared.
- Coverage of the campaign:
- A total of 1205 Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKs) have been sanctioned in 27 States and 1 Union territory involving around 18,075 Van Dhan Self Help Groups.
- This involves over 3.6 Lakhs tribal gatherers in the Scheme.
- The webinar, for the promotion of the campaign:
- It is aimed to reach more than 18,000 participants and would cover tribal regions across all the 27 States.
- TRIFED has also reached out to the Art of Living Foundation #iStandWithHumanity Initiative with a Stand With Tribal Families component in providing much needed food and ration for survival of the tribal community.
About The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
- It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- TRIFED has its registered and Head Office located in New Delhi and has a network of 13 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
- Activities of TRIFED are divided into 2 categories
- Minor Forest Produces(MFP) Development:MFP Development,Minimum Support Price for MFPs,R&D of MFPs
- Retail Marketing Development:It also involves Handicraft / Handloom development Training.
Van Dhan Scheme
The scheme has been launched by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED in 2018.
- Economic development of tribals involved in collection of Minor Food Produces (MFPs) by helping them in optimum utilization of natural resources and providing them sustainable livelihood
- It also aims at building upon traditional knowledge and skill sets of tribals by adding technology & IT for value addition.
Key points :
- 10 Self Help Groups of 30 Tribal gatherers will be trained and provided with working capital to add value to the products collected from the forests.
- Setting-up of a tribal community owned Van Dhan Vikas Kendras in predominantly forested tribal districts.
- The SHGs can supply their stock after primary processing to State Implementing Agencies or can directly tie up with a corporate secondary processor.
- Involvement of Corporates under PPP model for creating secondary level value addition facility at district level and tertiary level value addition facility at state level.
- The PPP model will be based on utilising Private entrepreneur skills in processing and marketing of the produce.
- The Central/ State Government will support by developing infrastructure and providing an enabling environment for undertaking value addition in a scientific and systematic manner.