Why in issue?-
- About 48000 slums were to be demolished by the Indian Railways following the directions of The SC.
- No demolition action should be commenced till a decision is in place by the Indian Railways, ministry of urban development, and Delhi government till alternate housing is provided to them.
Laws Related to the issue-
- Right to life under Article 21
- Section 133 of CrPC 1973, Section 91 of CPC defines nuisances which includes obstruction to a public place
India becomes member of UN body
- Commission on Status of Women Economic (UNCSW) is a body of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
- India and Afghanistan beats China to secure the seats.
What is UNCSW?-
- The United Nation’s Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) is the principal global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women
- It was established by ECOSOC resolution 11(II) of 21 June 1946.
Targets of UNCSW
- 2020: Review and appraisal of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the outcomes of the 23rd special session of the General Assembly, and its contribution towards the full realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- 2021: Priority theme: Women’s full and effective participation and decision-making in public life, as well as the elimination of violence, for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls. Review theme: Women’s empowerment and the link to sustainable development (agreed conclusions of the sixtieth session).
- 2022: Priority theme: Achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls in the context of climate change, environmental and disaster risk reduction policies and programmes. Review theme: Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work (agreed conclusions of the sixty-first session).
- 2023: Priority theme: Innovation and technological change, and education in the digital age for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls. Review theme: Challenges and opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls (agreed conclusions of the sixty-second session).
- 2024: Priority theme: Accelerating the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls by addressing poverty and strengthening institutions and financing with a gender perspective. Review theme: Social protection systems, access to public services and sustainable infrastructure for gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls (agreed conclusions of the sixty-third session).