Context: The Ministry of Tourism celebrated the World Heritage Day 2020(18th April) through a webinar series - Dekho Apna Desh.
More about the news:
TheUnion Minister of Tourism and Culture addressed live through the webinar on Ancient Temple city of Mamallapuram which had participants from all over the world.
About the webinar:
- The first webinar which was on ancient Temple City of Mamallapuram, the architectural and religious significance of the temples was highlighted by the panellists.
- The second webinar was titled 'World Heritage and Sustainable Tourism at Humayun’s Tomb'.
- The webinar threw light on the significance of World Heritage Sitesand informed participants about the conservation works undertaken at the Humayun’s Tomb and other monuments in the complex.
- Importance of Indian culture and tradition:
- Indian tradition and culture is not only ancient but also invaluable.
- In the present crisis where the world and India is dealing with COVID-19, it is the values of humanity and warm hospitality of Indian heritage which define India.
- Vasudhaiva Kutumbhakam (the world is our family) from the Maha Upanishad wherein India’s spirit is demonstrated in its warmth and humility through the help extended to all tourists stranded in India.
- Science forms the core of life:
- It was scientific ancient practices which have held steadfast in most trying times before humanity.
- In ancient India the principles of religion were based on science which can be illustrated by the 52 pillars in Sun temple in Modhera, Gujarat, wherein each pillar depicts a week in a year.
- Vision 2024: A timeline by which India should be able to enlist, preserve and showcase the deep and invaluable heritage and culture of India’s monuments and traditions.
- National list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of India: The list is available on the website of the Ministry of Culture, is going to grow considering the depth and vastness of India’s ancient civilisation, including the arts, crafts and various other local traditions.
Image Source: Northeast now