- To uplift the urban poor folks by enhancing sustainable livelihood opportunities through skill development.
- NULM was launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (MHUPA) in 2013 by replacing the existing Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rozgar Yojana (SJSRY).
- It provides for:
- Employment through Skill Training and Placement through City Livelihood Centres.
- Social Mobilization and Institution Development through formation of Self-Help Groups (SHG) for training members and hand holding, an initial support of 10, 000 is given for each group.
- Subsidy to urban poor - An interest subsidy of 5% - 7% for setting up individual micro-enterprises with a loan of up to 2 lakhs and for group enterprises with a loan limit of up to Rs.10 lakhs.
- Cost of construction of shelters for urban homeless is fully funded under the Scheme.
- Other means - Development of vendor markets and also the promotion of skills for the vendors through setting up infrastructure and special projects for the rag picker and differently abled etc.
- Urban poor
- Street Vendors
- Slum dwellers
- Homeless o Rag pickers
- Differently abled