- New labour codes to allow four-day work week (TH) The new labour codes set to be implemented soon would provide companies the flexibility of reducing the number of working days to four days a week a
- Law and compassion (TH) The question of remission should not be a matter of politics and electoral considerations
- PM’s reply in Rajya Sabha to the motion of thanks on the President’s Address (PIB) Problems of agriculture should be resolved and there is a need to work for this. The Prime Minister invited all the parties to move forward for the welfare of the farmers. On MSP, the Prime Minister reiterated, “MSP is there, MSP was there. MSP will remain in the future. Affordable ration for the poor will continue. Mandis will be modernised.”
GS2: International Relations
- U.S. to rejoin UN human rights forum (TH) The decision is likely to draw criticism from conservative lawmakers and many in the pro-Israel community
- 6th Edition of ‘India Pharma & India Medical Device 2021’ on 25-26 Feb & 1-2 March 2021 (PIB) “Healthcare continues to be an integral part of the Government’s priorities with emphasis on medicines at affordable rates, increasing the accessibility to diagnosis and treatment, boost local manufacturing of medical equipment and encouraging innovation to further reduce the cost of healthcare. The government through its various policies and schemes is encouraging the manufacturing of affordable medical devices and pharmaceutical under its ‘Make in India’ initiative. The India Pharma 2021 & India Medical Device 2021 will lay the groundwork for the next wave of development.”
- Explained: How to tackle a glacial burst (IE); Troubled mountains (TH) The NDMA guidelines say that risk reduction has to begin with identifying and mapping such lakes, taking structural measures to prevent their sudden breach, and establishing mechanism to save lives and property in times of a breach.
- PM to inaugurate World Sustainable Development Summit 2021 on 10th February (PIB) The 20th edition of The Energy and Resources Institute’s (TERI) flagship event, the World Sustainable Development Summit, will be held online from 10th-12th February, 2021. The Summit will bring together a wide number of governments, business leaders, academicians, climate scientists, youth, and the civil society in the fight against climate change. India’s Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and Ministry of Earth Sciences are key partners of the Summit. Energy and industry transition, adaptation and resilience, nature based solutions, climate finance, circular economy, clean oceans and air pollution, are amongst the range of topics to be discussed during the Summit.
GS3: Science and Tech
- Explained: What is Einsteinium, the mysterious element named after Albert Einstein? (IE) With a new study published in the journal Nature last week, for the first time, researchers have been able to characterise some of the properties of the element.