GS2: Governance, GS3: Disaster Management
- Explained: What are the safeguards against chemical disasters in India?(IE) At the time of the Bhopal gas tragedy, the Indian Penal Code (IPC) was the only relevant law specifying criminal liability for such incidents.
- Under the spotlight: Gaps in law to deal with mishaps like Vizag gas leak(IE) A decade ago, the issue was raised even during discussions on the Civil Nuclear Liability Act, 2010. The 2010 Act deals with instituting civil liability for nuclear damage and granting prompt compensation to victims of a nuclear incident.
- NGT cites archaic law in gas leak case(TH) Principle of ‘strict liability’ was made redundant in 1986.
- Green tribunal directs LG Polymers to deposit ₹50 CR.(TH) The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Friday directed LG Polymers India to deposit an initial amount of ₹50 crore for the damage caused by the gas leak
- Contempt for labour(TH) Centre should not allow exemptions from welfare laws for workers mooted by States
- Let down by law(IE) The Act was enacted to prevent the exploitation of inter-state migrant workmen by contractors, and to ensure fair and decent conditions of employment.
GS2: International Relations
- U.S. special envoy urges India to talk to Taliban(TH) The territory of Afghanistan must not be used against the United States, our allies and in fact the world
- Shaping India’s response in a global hinge moment(TH) The most important improvements concern its national security structures and their work, and flexibility in thinking
- AIIB clears $500-mn loan to support India’s fight against COVID-19(IE) The project will be implemented by the National Health Mission (NHM), the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- Mass hatching of Olive Ridley turtles begins at Odisha’s Rushikulya rookery(TH) Mass hatching of Olive Ridley turtles began at Odisha's Rushikulya rookery, a major nesting site of these marine turtles, on Thursday night.
- A new concern: early locusts(IE) Locusts normally arrive during July-October, but have already been spotted in Rajasthan. At a time India is battling Covid, they present a new worry with their potential for exponential growth and crop destruction.
- Strategic oil storage to be full by mid-May: Pradhan(Mint) India, the world’s third largest crude oil importer, has an existing storage capacity of 5.3 million tonnes
- Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman launches INR - USD Futures and Options contracts in the International Exchanges at GIFT-IFSC(PIB) Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitaraman launched INR-USD Futures and Options contracts on the two International Exchanges, viz BSE’s India INX and NSE’s NSE-IFSC, at GIFT International Financial Services Centre at Gandhinagar today through video conference.