- Tremble after the tremors(TH); Explained: Why Delhi earthquakes aren’t a signal (IE)" Earthquakes of magnitude four or below hardly cause any damage anywhere and are mostly inconsequential for practical purposes.
GS2: Governance, Health
- The healthcare gap(IE) The limitations of the country’s public health system are well-known. India’s public hospitals have only 7,13,986 beds, including 35,699 in intensive care units and 17,850 ventilators, according to a recent study by the Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy (India) and Princeton University.
- Economy to contract 3.2% in FY21: WB The World Bank on Monday projected India’s economy to contract 3.2% in FY21 as stringent measures to restrict the spread of the coronavirus pandemic have heavily curtailed activity in Asia’s third largest economy.
- "Explained: The importance of India’s rising forex reserves amid Covid-19 economic crisis(IE)" Forex reserves are external assets in the form gold, SDRs (special drawing rights of the IMF) and foreign currency assets (capital inflows to the capital markets, FDI and external commercial borrowings) accumulated by India and controlled by the Reserve Bank of India.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Role of microRNA in growth and spread of tongue cancer cells MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are short non‐coding RNAs containing 20–24 nucleotides that participate in virtually all biological pathways in animals. They have been found to play important roles in many cancers, in carcinogenesis (start of cancer), malignant transformation and metastasis — the development of secondary cancer. The miRNAs associated with cancer are called ‘Oncomirs’.”
- DST releases information brochure on health & risk communication programme focusing on COVID-19(PIB)" The National Health & Risk Communication programme has been planned and being implemented in a big way with a mechanism of PAN India presence and reach. State Councils of Science & Technology have been involved. The three major ingredients of the programme include software/ content development, capacity development, and dissemination and outreach.
- India must redouble sustainability efforts: Environment performance index(DTE) India secured 168 rank in the 12th edition of the biennial Environment Performance Index (EPI Index 2020) — that measured the environmental performance of 180 countries — and was released by the Yale University on June 4, 2020. India’s rank was 177 (with a score of 30.57 out of 100) in 2018.The country scored 27.6 out of 100 in the 2020 index.
GS3: Indigenization of Defense
- Indian Air Force Inducts Indigenous Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT)(PIB) Requirement of an air evacuation system with facility to prevent spread of infectious aerosol from a COVID-19 patient during air travel was felt by IAF when COVID-19 was declared as a pandemic.