GS1: Indian Geography
- August rainfall highest since 1926: IMD The heavy rain in August was due to several long-lasting low-pressure systems, or rain-bearing winds, that formed in the Bay of Bengal and were vigorous enough to travel all the way from the south-eastern coast up to north-west India.
GS2: Social issues
- Test by choice The ICMR’s latest advisory provides for testing on demand to “ensure higher levels of testing”. While ramping up testing is needed, testing on demand by anyone might not be the correct approach to adopt
- Kerala Tops Literacy Rate Chart;Andhra Worst Performer The study has pegged the overall literacy rate in the country at about 77.7%. In rural areas, the literacy rate is 73.5% compared to 87.7% in urban areas of the country.
- RBI sets sectoral norms for resolution of COVID19 related stressed assetsThe circular issued by the RBI for resolution of stressed assets is based on the recommendations of the K.V. Kamath committee, which submitted its report on September 4. “The recommendations of the Committee have been broadly accepted by the Reserve Bank,”
- SIGNS OF RECOVERY The UN Food and Agriculture Organisation’s global Food Price Index (FPI) has risen for a third successive month in August and reached its highest value since February. This indicates two things. The first is a steady demand recovery after the slump on account of the novel coronavirus-induced lockdowns imposed in most countries, which sent the FPI crashing to a 48-month low in May.
- One economy,follow evidence The GDP decline in the April-June quarter (Q1) is primarily due to the pandemic and does not relate to the economy’s performance leading into the pandemic. The data unmistakably establish this fact and also suggest that the economy is recovering strongly in the unlock phase.
- Covid-19impact:`15.5lakh crore corporate loans come under stress Financial sector experts say while stress in various sectors post Covid is understandable, the fact that almost 45 per cent of banking sector debt was under stress prior to Covid is a major concern area.
GS3: Science and Tech
- Scramjet:how it works,why it matters Hypersonic speeds are those which are five times or more than the speed of sound. The unit tested by the DRDO can achieve upto six times the speed of sound or Mach 6, which is well over 7000 kilometers per hour or around two kilometers per second.
- SpecialFrontier Force:why is a covert group under the spotlight now? It is commonly believed the SFF was raised by India in coordination with US intelligence agencies. The original task as envisaged was clandestine operations behind the lines in Tibet.
- Press Note on Global Multidimensional Poverty Index and India Global MPI is an international measure of multidimensional poverty covering 107 developing countries and was first developed in 2010 by Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) for UNDP’s Human Development Reports. The Global MPI is released at the High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development of the United Nations in July, every year.
- Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot launches ‘24x7 Toll-Free Mental Health Rehabilitation Helplinekiran-(1800-599-0019) The Helpline is being coordinated by the National Institute for theEmpowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities (NIEPMD), Chennaiand National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR), Sehore.Professional support for the Helpline is being provided by the IndianAssociation of Clinical Psychologists (IACP), Indian PsychiatristsAssociation (IPA) and Indian Psychiatric Social Workers Association(IPSWA).