GS 1: Art & Culture
- "National Gallery of Modern Artto organise virtual tour to commemorate the 159th birth anniversary of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore tomorrow" National Gallery of Modern Artwill organise the Virtual Tour titled “Gurudev – Journey of the Maestro through his visual vocabulary” from 7th May 2020 to commemorate the 159th birth anniversary of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore.
GS1: Geography, GS3: Disaster Management
- Water wisdom during a pandemic(TH) More awareness is needed on climate-resilient actions like protecting carbon sinks
GS2: Governance, Health
- MAKE CHEMICAL SAFETY POLICY A PRIORITY IN INDIA(Mint) Apart from framing some rules and guidelines, the enforcement of chemical safety has been abysmal.
- Toxic disaster(TH) The gas leak tragedy is a reminder that safety is paramount when exiting the lockdown
- Should healthcare be a fundamental right?(TH) India has never spent more than 2% of its GDP on healthcare.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan launches the ‘AYUSH Sanjivani ’ App and inter-disciplinary studies involving AYUSH interventions for COVID 19(PIB)" Highlighting the importance of harnessing technology for COVID-19 response, the Union Health Minister said “The ‘AYUSH Sanjivani ’ mobile app, which has been launched today, will help to generate data on acceptance and usage of AYUSH advocacies and measures among the population and its impact in prevention of COVID 19. It is developed by Ministry of AYUSH and MEITY and shall reach out to a target of 50 lakh people.”
GS 2: Polity
- Conducting elections during a pandemic(TH) The Election Commission could consider the measures that South Korea took to prepare a foolproof plan
GS2: International Relations
- U.S. pat for India’s role in Afghanistan(TH) The U.S. recognises India’s “constructive contribution” to Afghanistan, said U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad,
GS2: Governance, GS3: Science & Tech
- Union HRD Minister announces modifications in PMRF Scheme to boost research in the country(PIB)" Union Human Resource Development Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank' today announced that, to boost research in the country various amendments have been carried out in Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship Scheme.
GS3: Science & Tech
- Vizag gas leak: what styrene is for, and how it behaves(IE); Vizag gas leak THE GAS that leaked from a chemical factory on the outskirts of Visakhapatnam on Thursday, leaving at least 11 dead and sending hundreds to hospital, is called styrene
- No scientific studies report styrene gas causing deaths(TH) The gas leak from LG Polymers, which led to the death of at least seven people in Visakhapatnam, is suspected to have been caused by styrene gas.
- Band-like clouds seen over Sun’s neighbour(TH) They were found in the latest study of one of a pair of binary brown dwarfs. A group of international astrophysicists have identified cloud bands on the surface of Luhman 16A, one of a pair of binary brown dwarfs in the Vela constellation.
- Tiger population in Sunderbans rises to 96(TH) Bengal Forest Department indicates that the count has increased by 8 in 2019-20. The latest estimation of tiger numbers in the Indian Sunderbans indicate an increase in the population of big cats.
- Seasonal rapid advancement of surging glaciers in Karakoram Range: A potential natural hazard(PIB)" The behaviour of these glaciers, which represent 40% of the total glaciated area of the Karakoram goes against the normal trend of considerable reduction in volume and length of most glaciers in the Himalaya in recent decades.
GS3: Internal Security & Defence
- Nod for abolition of 9,304 MES posts(TH) It is in line with the recommendations of the Committee of Experts, headed by Lieutenant General Shekatkar, which had recommended measures to enhance combat capability and rebalance defence expenditure of the Armed Forces.