- Task Force set up to examine matters pertaining to age of motherhood, imperatives of lowering MMR, improvement of nutritional levels and related issues(PIB) To examine the correlation of age of marriage and motherhood with (a) health, medical well-being and nutritional status of mother and neonate/infant/child, during pregnancy, birth and thereafter, (b) key parameters like Infant Mortality Rate (IMR), Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR), Total Fertility Rate (TFR), Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB), Child Sex Ratio (CSR) etc. and (c) any other relevant points pertaining to health and nutrition in this context.
GS2: International Relations
- In Persian Gulf littoral, cooperative security is key(TH) The relationship with Iran, complex at all times and more so recently on account of overt American pressure, has economic potential and geopolitical relevance on account of its actual or alleged role in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Iran also neighbours Turkey and some countries of Central Asia, the Caucasus and the Caspian Sea region. Its size, politico-technological potential and economic resources, cannot be wished away, regionally and globally, but can be harnessed for wider good.
- Poaching doubled during lockdown, says wildlife trade monitoring group(TH) Since these species are targeted mainly for meat (for self-consumption or for local trade), the increase is presumably due to those poaching for self-consumption or those who are trying to compensate their loss of income by making quick money through poaching.
GS3: Internal Security
- IT Act is no longer sufficient to tackle present digital ecosystem(Mint) The draft Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines) Rules of December 2018, are ill-thought out, disproportionate and overly broad. One of the primary problems with the draft Rules is that while they are intended to target specific social media firms but apply broadly to all intermediaries
- Robust Digital Financial Infra Key to Successful Direct Transfer of Benefits to Target Groups(PIB) The panellists also discussed practical insights from rolling out the (emergency) cash support transfers, covering both Cash-in Cash-out (CICO) agents and payment infrastructure, and how countries can build digital financial infrastructure amid the Covid-19 crisis.
- Relying on India(IE) As India looks at opening up after four phases of lockdown, it is seeking to find new doors and windows of opportunity. It is aiming to discover possibilities for spurring inclusive, equitable growth, to discover new value chains that would create wealth, to harness the untapped human potential and optimally utilise the natural resources.
- What India’s economy needs as we reopen it(Mint) As the lockdown is lifted, the first challenge is to harmonize and synchronize the resumption of activity across states. With each state’s reopening calibrated differently, depending on covid severity, efforts at value generation will run into a web of controls that call for varied responses by economic agents.
- Gross Value Added numbers and the economy(TH) The output or domestic product is essentially a measure of GVA combined with net taxes. While GDP can be and is also computed as the sum total of the various expenditures incurred in the economy including private consumption spending, government consumption spending and gross fixed capital formation or investment spending, these reflect essentially on the demand conditions in the economy. From a policymaker’s perspective it is therefore vital to have the GVA data to be able to make policy interventions, where needed.