- Centre to ﬁx jurisdiction of river boards(TH) The Centre will determine the jurisdictions of the Krishna and Godavari river management boards (KRMB and GRMB).
GS2: Issues with govt. schemes
- The Elusive Promise Of Work(IE) The first criterion is difficult to test because of the paucity of recent data on district wise migrant workers. While the GKRA scheme only applies to districts which had at least 25,000 returning migrants, we do not really know with any certainty the universe of such districts in the country. However, based on existing estimates, it is highly likely that the states of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar account for a large part of the out migration and the GKRA has 63 out of 116 districts in UP and Bihar.
- Services PMI shows slumpeasing, but job losses swell(TH) The Nikkei/IHS Markit Services Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) bounced to 49.8 in September from August’s 41.8, a touch below the 50 mark that separates expansion from contraction on a monthly basis.
- Govt. clears ₹11000 crores PLI proposals by Samsung, others(TH) The PLI-scheme, which was notified on April 1, 2020, extends an incentive of 4%-6% on incremental sale of goods, under target segments, that are manufactured in India for a period of five years.
GS3: Science and Tech
- Nobel for black hole physics(IE)They made precise measurements of the orbits of the brightest stars in the area considered the middle of the Milky Way, and their studies showed that the slightly unusual trajectories and the speed of the stars could only be explained by the presence of a very massive but invisible, heavenly body. This is now known to be the Sagittarius A* supermassive black hole, which has a mass four million times that of the Sun and is confined to an area roughly the size of our Solar System.
- What is SMART test, and why it matters(IE) This SMART system comprises a mechanism by which the torpedo is launched from a supersonic missile system with modifications that would take the torpedo to a far longer range than its own.
- PLI Scheme to herald a new era in mobile phone and electronic components manufacturing Ministry of Electronics and Information and Technology (MeitY) has approved 16 eligible applicants under the PLI Scheme.Production Linked Incentive Scheme (PLI) for Large Scale Electronics Manufacturing notified on 1st April, 2020,extends an incentive of 4% to 6% on incremental sales (over base year) of goods under target segments that are manufactured in India to eligible companies, for a period of five years subsequent to the base year (FY2019-20).
- Vaibhav Summit session on “Sensor and Sensing for Precision Agriculture” held by ICAR- Indian Agricultural Research Institute A session on “Sensors and Sensing for Precision Agriculture” was organized under “Precision Agriculture” by ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute with total participation of 1019 including 38 panellists on 05th October 2020, as part of the Vaishwik Bhartiya Vaigyanik (VAIBHAV) Summit 2020. This is a Government of India initiative to bring together the thought process, practices, R&D culture of Overseas and Indian scientists/academicians through a series of structured deliberations and constructive dialogue, and develop a road map for translational research/academic culture for tangible output and strengthening the S&T base for providing the impetus to endeavour of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat.