- Explained: Why did cyclones give October a miss? (IE) India’s east and west coasts are prone to cyclones with the maximum associated hazards—rain, heavy winds and storm surge— faced by coastal districts of West Bengal, Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.
- Salient weather features over the country for the month of Oct, 2020: IMD Report (PIB) Southwest Monsoon withdrew from the entire country and Northeast Monsoon rains simultaneously commenced over extreme south peninsular India on 28th October 2020. Past dates of withdrawal of southwest monsoon from entire India since 1975 shows that withdrawal from entire India was most delayed during 2010 (29th Oct, 2010) followed by 2016 and 2020 ( 28th Oct).
- Alimony guidelines (TH) Early enforcement of maintenance laws is a must to protect dependent women.
- Haryana clears Bill on right to recall panchayat member (TH) Amendment Bill, 2020, also gives 50% reservation to women in rural bodies
- Activists urge FSSAI to reconsider planned fortification of rice, oil (DTE) The FSSAI is considering mandatory fortification of edible oil with Vitamin A and Vitamin D and rice with Vitamin B12, Iron and Folic Acid.
- RBI announces co-lending scheme for banks, NBFCs for priority sector (Mint) The Reserve Bank on Thursday came out with a Co-Lending Model (CLM) scheme under which banks can provide loans along with NBFCs to priority sector borrowers based on a prior agreement.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Einstein’s Eclipse: It has been 101 years since ‘Theory of Relativity’ was validated (DTE) Even before the emergence of the inquisitive human form, evolution witnessed mortal fragments of life that heavily depended on celestial bodies. The moth, for example, still relies on the position of the distant moon to navigate in straight lines.
- Over 1300 bright minds across India come together at Gov Tech-Thon 2020 to solve grassroot problems (PIB) National Informatics Centre (NIC) is attached office of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). NIC was established in 1976, and has rich experience in providing ICT and eGovernance support to the Government for the last 4 decades and helping bridge the digital divide. It has emerged as a promoter of digital opportunities for sustainable development.