GS1: Art & Culture
- Prime Minister to participate in the Virtual Vesak Global Celebrations on Buddha Purnima, 7th May 2020(PIB) Buddha Purnima celebrations are being held through a Virtual Visak day owing to the impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic across the globe.
- How NFHS can help in the covid-19 battle(Mint) The minimum sample of individuals who would need to be tested would depend on the anticipated rate of covid-19 prevalence in a region
- Rent control amidst pandemic(TH) Laws mandating the registration of tenancies need to be made applicable across States
- For the first time, India has more rural net users than urban(ToI) For the first time, India has more internet users in rural areas than in urban cities. The latest report by the Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and Nielsen showed rural India had 227 million active internet users, 10% more than urban India's about 205 million, as of November 2019.
GS2: Social Justice, International Bodies
- "Lost at home: Over 5 million people internally displaced in India in 2019, says UN report(TH)" Of these, there were 12 million new displacements involving children, including around 3.8 million of them caused by conflict and violence, and 8.2 million due to disasters linked mostly to weather-related events.
- A warlike state and a bond to the rescue(TH) With the pandemic’s shadow over the economy, a Consol Bond issue is a more compelling solution for the government
- Crude is cheaper, why isn’t petrol? It’s the tax trick(Mint) The Centre’s collection of excise duty and GST fell drastically as production and consumption of goods and services slid because of the lockdown
- Govt plans pre-packaged deals under IBC(Mint) Last year, the corporate affairs ministry had sought comments on pre-packaged resolutions from interested parties
GS3: Infrastructure, S&T
The energy efficiency initiatives by BEE leads to savings worth Rs. 89,122 Cr. in 2018-19(PIB) Over 28 crore LED bulbs distributed under UJALA Scheme till 19th December, 2017 and 52.43 crore sold
- "Study of flowering plant endemism of Northern Western Ghats highlights importance of plateaus in conservation plans(PIB)" Although the Northern Western Ghats region has been floristically surveyed well, the local endemism of the flowering plants in the area is not much explored. Scientists have various estimates about the species that are endemic to the region, and the understanding of habitats, seasons, and plant distribution is limited.
GS3: Science & Tech
- IIT Bombay Professor receives Young Career Award in Nano Science & Technology 2020 for Advanced Transistor Technologies(PIB) Prof. Lodha, an alumnus of IIT Bombay and Purdue University, USA, plans to leverage the capabilities and expertise in his group for developing power electronic transistors based on wide bandgap semiconductors such as silicon carbide and gallium oxide.
- Meet IIT-Bombay professor who won Young Career Award 2020 The invention can make electronic devices perform faster by consuming less power and last longer that too with low failure rates. This can be implemented in any device including mobile phone, laptop, serves etc.
- Pigs die of suspected hog cholera in Meghalaya(TH) Farmers fear an outbreak. Suspected hog cholera has killed at least a dozen pigs across two districts of Meghalaya.
- Explained: What is African Swine Fever reported in India for the first time?(IE)) This is the first time that an ASF outbreak has been reported in India.