- Explained: The Simlipal forest fire, and why it is a matter of concern (IE) Similipal is the abode of 94 species of orchids and about 3,000 species of plants. The identified species of fauna include 12 species of amphibians, 29 species of reptiles, 264 species of birds and 42 species of mammals, all of which collectively highlight the biodiversity richness of Similipal. Sal is a dominant tree species.
GS1: Urbanisation related issues
- Bengaluru, Shimla ‘most liveable’ cities (TH) Pune, Ahmedabad, Chennai also figure at the top of the list
- Haryana quota: the fine print (IE); Haryana’s new job quota rule worries India Inc. (TH) Industrial development and private investment will be hit, ‘ultimately hurt the interests of the State’
- India is ‘partly free’, says U.S. thinktank (TH) U.S.-based human rights watchdog Freedom House has accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government of “driving India toward authoritarianism”.
GS2: Social issues
- IISc in top 100 list in natural sciences category (TH) Only IITs Bombay, Delhi and Madras figure in top 100 in engineering and technology category. IITs Kharagpur, Kanpur drop out.
- 17 per cent of all food available at consumer levels was wasted in 2019, reveals Food Waste Inde (DTE) The Food Waste Index Report 2021 released March 4, 2021 has revealed that 17 per cent of all food available at consumer levels was wasted in 2019. That year, some 690 million people had to go hungry.
GS2: International Relations
- India wants Chabahar port on key corridor (TH) Tehran seeks Delhi’s assistance in the project which will change the “geo-economy” of region
- Fuel prices to drop if brought under GST, says SBI Research (TH) ‘Centre, States could lose as little as ₹1 lakh crore in annual revenue’
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan launches “CSIR Floriculture Mission” (PIB) This Mission is being implemented in collaboration with Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)-Directorate of Floriculture; Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC); Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), Ministry of Commerce; Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd. (TRIFED); Fragrance and Flavour Development Centre (FFDC), Kannauj, Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) and Universities.
GS3: Science and Tech
- India an overperformer in frontier tech among developing countries: UN report (DTE)India was the biggest ‘overperformer’ in frontier technologies than the country's per capita gross domestic products (GDP) would suggest, according to a recent country-readiness index released by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).